Tuesday 9 October 2012

Task 2

Task2:: Identify the top choice and WHY you feel that they may have synergy with your practice now, or in the near future.

Topshop Junior Graphic designer is my top choice.

I have been working some fashion led briefs which also entail retail graphics and thoroughly enjoyed working on these types of briefs. Consequently, I think I would enjoy working on the type of design Topshop produces. Although it is a large corporate business, which can sometimes control your design, I find their design style similar to that of mine already so would not mind working in this way. I would also find immense pleasure in seeing my designs rolled out on an international scale and being present within all Topshop stores worldwide. I am not that keen on moving to London to work but if I were to be offered this job at Topshop I would move within an instant.

I am proposing to continue to work on fashion led briefs within my FMP which will hopefully appear in my portfolio and appeal to the Topshop design team. The interview I read with a junior graphic designer at Topshop said she was approached by Topshop after her work was displayed at D&AD and the design team saw her previous fashion retail designs within her portfolio.

Another aspect I need to consider if I want to get a job here is work experience; in the interview I read with a junior graphic designer at Topshop also explained that it was vital to demonstrate your placement experience. However, this is something I am yet to gain. I currently would not mind taking the time to do this properly after university if it was going to mean that in the end I got the job that I wanted.